Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Ranking Member Jeff Sessions (R-AL) “Friday announced the witness list for the confirmation hearings for Solicitor General Elena Kagan to be an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court,” according to a press release.
American Bar Association Witnesses
- Kim Askew, Chair of Standing Committee
- William J. Kayatta, Jr., First Circuit Representative
- Professor Robert C. Clark, Harvard University Distinguished Service Professor, Austin Wakeman Scott Professor of Law, and former Dean, Harvard Law School
- Justice Fernande “Nan” Duffly, Associate Justice, Massachusetts Court of Appeals, on behalf of the National Association of Women Judges
- Greg Garre, Partner, Lathan & Watkins, former Solicitor General of the United States
- Jennifer Gibbins, Executive Director, Prince William Soundkeeper
- Professor Jack Goldsmith, Professor of Law, Harvard University
- Marcia Greenberger, Founder and Co-President, National Women’s Law Center
- Jack Gross, plaintiff, Gross v. FBL Financial Services Inc.
- Lilly Ledbetter, plaintiff, Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire
- Professor Ronald Sullivan, Edward R. Johnston Lecturer on Law, Director of the Criminal Justice Institute, Harvard law School
- Kurt White, President, Harvard Law Armed Forces Association
- Robert Alt, Senior Fellow and Deputy Director, Center for Legal and Judicial Studies, The Heritage Foundation
- Lt. Gen. William “Jerry” Boykin, United States Army (ret.)
- Capt. Pete Hegseth, Army National Guard
- Commissioner Peter Kirsanow, Benesch Law Firm
- David Kopel, Esq., Research Director, Independence Institute
- Colonel Thomas N. Moe, United States Air Force (ret.)
- David Norcross, Esq., Blank Rome
- William J. Olson, Esq., William J. Olson, P.C.
- Tony Perkins, President, Family Research Council
- Stephen Presser, Raoul Berger Professor of Legal History, Northwestern University School of Law
- Ronald Rotunda, The Doy & Dee Henley Chair and Distinguished Professor of Jurisprudence, Chapman University School of Law
- Ed Whelan, President, Ethics and Public Policy Center
- Dr. Charmaine Yoest, President & CEO, Americans United for Life
- Capt. Flagg Youngblood, United States Army
Update: Judiciary Republicans “have disinvited a controversial military officer from testifying at the confirmation hearing of Elena Kagan,” The Hill reports.
The minoity staff of the Senate Judiciary Committee had announced earlier Friday that retired Lt. Gen. William "Jerry" Boykin would appear before the panel next week, likely to discuss Kagan’s efforts to restrict military recruiting while dean of Harvard Law of School.
The announcement that Boykin would no longer testify was made after The Hill and other media outlets reported his testimony.
Boykin was reprimanded by the military in 2004 for making numerous statements casting the war on terror in religious terms when appearing before Christian groups.
(credit image – daylife/getty)